In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to make a blurry license plate in a photo or video readable.
When dealing with a getaway car caught on camera or a hit-and-run incident, knowing the license plate number can be a big advantage for investigators in uncovering the identity of their suspect. However, environmental factors, like low lighting or poor camera quality, can lead to an image of a license plate being illegible. Using CaseGuard’s enhancement effects, a readable license plate number is just a few clicks away.
Let’s get started
- Open CaseGuard Studio and select the “New Project” button.
- In the New Project pop-up, select the Storage Folder for your project and give the project a Name.
- Under the More Information dropdown, you can add information that will be added to the automatically generated reports.
- Click the “New Project” button to finish creating the project.
- The file explorer will open automatically, prompting you to add your audio or video files to the project.
How to enhance a blurry license plate
- If you are using a video, locate where in the video the license plate is shown.
- Select the “Manual Video” or “Manual Image” option from the Left Toolbar.
- Select the “Rectangle” shape from the dropdown menu at the bottom.
- If the Blur effect is selected, remove it by clicking on the “X” next to the Blur effect in the tool property panel.
- Select the “Magnify” effect from the list of Effects/Enhancements to zoom in on the license plate.
- Depending on your enhancement needs, you can choose the intensity level of the effects you applied using the Level Bar.
- Select the “Sharpen” effect to improve the pixels of the selected area, making the image clearer. Use the level bar to change the intensity or the sharpening effect.
- Select the “Gray Scale” effect to make differentiating the characters on the license plate easier.
- Select the “Contrast” effect to brighten the selected area. Play with the level of contrast to get the best results.
- Click between the different effects and change the level of each effect until you can read the license plate number.
- Once you can read the license plate, click “Export” from the Shortcuts Bar to process the file. The redacted file will appear in the Project Files Panel.