The Optical Character Recognition (OCR) function converts text within documents into a machine-readable text format. OCR processing documents allows the system to easily recognize text. This is essential in other redaction processes such as the Find & Redact tool.
OCR processing documents using the Watcher will enable users to process multiple files easily outside of CaseGuard in one operation. This eliminates the need to manually OCR process each file in CaseGuard.
A good use case scenario of Watcher’s OCR processing would be the need to redact text using AI Text Analysis on pages of several scanned books. Without OCR processing, the system may be unable to read the text on these documents, making AI Text Redactions impossible. Using the Watcher’s OCR processing, users can OCR all books outside of CaseGuard and add them to CaseGuard for redactions.
For those who prefer visual learning this YouTube video will guide you to run OCR on Documents in The Watcher, alongside Find and Redact.
Follow the steps to use OCR on your Documents in Watcher!
- Click the “Watcher” tab on the right side of the screen. Click to pin the Watcher tab.
- Click Add Folder to Watch icon to set up the Watcher.
- The CaseGuard Watcher window will pop up.
- Add a Watcher Name.
- Click “Browse” to add a folder to watch. This is the folder where all documents that need to be redacted will be input.
- Click “Browse” to add an Output folder. This folder will contain all exported files after the Watcher processes and redacts the documents from the Watch folder.
- To save history files of your operations in your Output folder, Select the “Keep history files for manual review” checkbox.
- In the Operation dropdown, select “Redact Document.
- Once the Watcher is set up, click “Add” and select the “Perform Optical Character Recognition (OCR)” checkbox.
- Click “Apply” and then “Save.”
Your Watcher should now appear in the Watcher panel.
- Under the Watcher progress bar, you have the option to open the settings , delete , or pause the Watcher.
- The settings icon will open up the Watcher window.
- Delete will completely delete the selected Watcher.
- Pause will pause the Watcher operation.
- The process will begin automatically if your files are already in the watch folder, otherwise, click the “Open Input Folder” icon and insert the files you wish to be processed.
- Once complete, your OCR-processed files will be exported to your output folder. You can access your output folder by clicking “Open Output Folder” in the Watcher.
Let’s see it in Action!